Dates: June 2017 – August 2017
Overall Responsibility: Supervise and participate in day work with the wardrobe team and make all repairs necessary to prepare costumes for all dress rehearsals and performances.
- Supervise, delegate, and perform, as necessary, costume day work, including but not limited to washing, drying, ironing, steaming, sorting and distributing show costumes.
- Train interns new to working in the wardrobe department the proper techniques of costume day work.
- Based on the lists compiled by the Wardrobe Supervisor, make repairs and alterations to costumes including garments, accessories, and shoes.
- Ensure the show in performance is the first priority with regard to washing machine and dryer availability.
- In addition to making listed repairs, thoroughly inspect each garment, including all seams and fastenings, for other repairs and repair them.
- Delegate repair work to day work team based on necessity in order to complete repair work and the ability of the team members.
- For complex repairs, consult with the Costume Shop Supervisor for the best solution.
- Report all costuming issues and concerns to the Wardrobe Supervisor.
- Ensure prior to the Wardrobe Dressers call time for each dress rehearsal and performance
- Assist with the load-in and load-out of costumes for the first dress rehearsals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Possess machine and hand sewing skills, with an understanding of garment construction.
- A serious interest in the theatre profession, preferably having obtained or currently pursuing an education in theatre.
- Previous collegiate or professional experience as a wardrobe dresser.
- Ability to take direction and see a task out to completion.
- Proven history of reliability and a strong work ethic.
- Possess a strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to thrive in an environment that requires working under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently or as a positive team member.
- Exhibited self-reliance and willingness to seek out all possible solutions.
- Demonstrated efficiency, prioritization, and multitasking ability.
- Ability to plan ahead and anticipate potential setbacks.
- Ability to calmly and succinctly resolve conflict and crisis.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter via the form below. Deadline to apply is March 31 although you are strongly encouraged to apply ASAP as the position will fill quickly.