Dates: Late May 2017 through August 2017
Overall Responsibility: Under the direction of the Costume Designer, facilitate the preparation and implementation of the costume design for assigned production(s).
- Create a cast measurement chart and distribute copies to the costume team.
- Assist the costume team with racking, sizing, sorting and organizing costumes.
- Assist the Costume Designer with pulling and purchasing garments, undergarments, accessories, and shoes.
- Create the first draft of dressing lists prior to first fittings.
- Coordinate with the Hair and Wig department to include wigs to the dressing lists.
- Prepare for fittings by loading-in costumes and verifying supplies are fully stocked.
- During fittings take notes, update dressing lists, label all undergarments, accessories, and shoes, and take fitting photos.
- Following each fitting session, delegate notes as necessary.
- After each day of fittings, print fitting photos and create the fitting photo boards.
- Coordinate with the Costume Shopper to send all shoes (as necessary) to the cobbler to be rubbered, braced and/or modified.
- Once an actor has been fit for his/her hats and the shoes have been rubbered, coordinate with the wardrobe team to make hats and shoes available for rehearsal.
- Read daily rehearsal reports for costume notes and execute notes as appropriate.
- Attend photo calls to ensure all necessary costume items are accessible and to answer any questions of the actors and wardrobe team.
- In collaboration with the Costume Shop Supervisor and Costume Shopper, facilitate expenditures, exchanges, and timely returns of unused items.
- Deliver the second draft of dressings lists to the Wardrobe Supervisor no later than the Wednesday morning prior to the first dress rehearsal.
- Be available backstage to the wardrobe team prior to all dress rehearsals to answer questions about the dressing lists and troubleshoot any problems that arise.
- Take notes for the Costume Designer during the dress rehearsals.
- Following the creative team notes session after the dress rehearsals and opening night, meet with the wardrobe supervisor to review notes.
- Following the dress rehearsals, refine notes and distribute them appropriately.
- Continue to update and refine the dressing lists for the rehearsals and opening night.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Costume Designer and unique to the given production(s).
- A B.A. in Theatre preferred
- A strong interest in the field of costume design and construction, preferably pursuing an education in costume design.
- Previous collegiate or professional experience in costume design.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to take direction and see a task out to completion.
- Proven history of reliability and a strong work ethic.
- Possess a strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to thrive in an environment that requires working under tight deadlines.
- Ability to plan ahead and anticipate potential setbacks.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter via the form below. Deadline to apply is March 17 although you are strongly encouraged to apply ASAP as the position will fill quickly.