Dates: June 2017 – August 2017
Overall Responsibilities: Under the direction of the Costume Crafts Head, facilitate the preparation, construction and implementation of the costume craft designs for all productions.
- Modify and/or build items such as hats, jewelry, armor, shoes, belts, assorted leather goods, masks, crowns and specialty wigs in consultation with Costume Crafts Head and other Craft Artisans.
- As needed, dye fabric before it is cut. Measure and record dye pigments and ingredients when dying costumes.
- When necessary, dye, paint and distress costumes after they are complete.
- Perform other responsibilities designated by the Costume Craft Coordinator.
- A BA in Theater or Studio Arts preferred or equivalent work experience.
- Solid knowledge of general costume construction, periods and terminology.
- Experience in all areas of costume crafts including but not limited to millinery, leather work, jewelry, shoe construction and repair.
- Working knowledge of costume craft materials including historical references and modern availabilities.
- Competence in hand sewing and use of sewing machine.
- Working knowledge of leather paints, solvents and adhesives.
- Some experience in leather work.
- Experience in fabric dying techniques.
- Strong knowledge of fabric dyes, fabric treatments and fabric composition.
- Working knowledge of safety standards and implementation of these.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, efficiency, ability to prioritize and self-motivate.
- Ability to calmly and succinctly resolve conflict and problem solve.
- Ability to work well under pressure in an environment that requires working under tight deadlines.
- Ability to lift up to 70 lbs.
Interested candidates should send resume and letter of intent via the form below. Deadline to apply is March 31 although you are strongly encouraged to apply ASAP as the position will fill quickly.