Dates: Mid-May 2017 – August 2017
Overall Responsibility: Assist with all applied and painted scenic finishes.
- Assist in the paint application for all scenic elements, including fly pieces, furniture and stage floor.
- Assist with the mixing of all paint and textures needed to execute each assigned scenic project.
- Report the progress of assigned projects to Scenic Charge Artist and inform him/her of any potential problems or conflicts.
- Touch up stock scenery as advised.
- Appropriately prep scenic surfaces for durability and aesthetic, including filling holes, sanding, priming and coating foam.
- Apply a variety of three-dimensional textures, such as raised wood grains.
- Authentically age and distress scenic pieces as advised.
- Assist in the occasional foam carving projects for specialty scenic items.
- Assist in the occasional silk and fabric dying for ground cloths and fly pieces.
- Create and sew all soft goods as designed by Scenic Designer for the scenic elements.
- Assist the Scenic Charge Artist in the creation and maintenance of a scenic paint bible for each production.
- Assist with the painting of the stage floor at change over by masking, painting, and prepping supplies and paint.
- A serious interest in the theatre profession, preferably having obtained an education in theatre, fine art or studio art.
- Previous professional experience as a Scenic Painter in a summer stock environment.
- Ability to take direction and see a task out to completion.
- Proven history of reliability and a strong work ethic.
- Possess a strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to thrive in an environment that requires working under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently or as a positive team member.
- Exhibited self-reliance and willingness to seek out all possible solutions to challenges.
- Demonstrated efficiency, prioritization, and multitasking.
- Ability to plan ahead and anticipate potential setbacks.
- Ability to calmly and succinctly resolve conflict and crisis.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
Interested applicants should email letter of intent and resume to Jill Lane firstname.lastname@example.org with letter of intent and resume. Deadline to apply is March 31 although you are strongly encouraged to apply ASAP as the position will fill quickly.