Dates: May 16, 2016 through August 31, 2016
Overall Responsibility: Oversee all operations and employees in the costume shop.
- Assist the Operations Manager and Director of Production with the load-in and load-out of the costume shop.
- In collaboration with the Head Stitcher, order and maintain basic stock of costume supplies, notions and tools.
- Schedule maintenance of all sewing machines and equipment at the beginning of the season.
- Facilitate any necessary repairs during the season.
- Coordinate and facilitate pre-season orientation for costume staff to articulate and insure productivity, quality, and safety standards/procedures.
- Schedule and supervise all costume shop employees. Manage staff time for payroll and budgeting purposes.
- Keep abreast of costume shop workflow and advise the Director of Production of over-hire needs in order to meet deadlines.
- Review and relay contractual dates and special requirements outlined in costume rental agreements to the costume teams and Costume Rental Coordinator.
- In collaboration with the First Hands, establish procedure to document and supervise the restoration of alterations/modifications made to any rented costumes before they are returned to the rental vendor.
- Coordinate with the Warehouse Supervisor and Costume Rental Coordinator to schedule deliveries of costumes to and from the warehouse and theatre.
- Help to coordinate the purchase of all dance shoes and tights, hose, dance briefs, dance belts, stockings, and all other “skin parts” for the season.
- Facilitate compensation for actors’ personal clothing/accessories rented for production’s use, as specified in the Actors’ Equity / California Musical Theatre Agreement.
- Attend production meetings and dress rehearsals.
- Work with the Wardrobe Supervisor to ensure a smooth transition of costumes from workroom to dress rehearsals and opening performances.
- Coordinate costume strike with the Costume Rental Coordinator and the Warehouse Supervisor.
- Following the closing performance of each production, schedule dry cleaning pick up, delivery and billing.
- Help facilitate expenditures for the Wardrobe and Hair/Wig Departments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Previous professional experience supervising costume construction.
- Knowledge of and basic experience in all areas of theatrical costuming.
- Working knowledge of costume and fashion history.
- Working knowledge of costume materials including historical references and modern availabilities.
- Ability to give clear directions and encourage questions when working with staff.
- Possess a talent for setting standards of excellence an inspiring a sense of group responsibility among team members.
- Demonstrated experience in personnel management, time management and work flow analysis.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and facilitating procedure and creating documentation.
- Basic computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to plan ahead and anticipate potential setbacks.
- Ability to calmly and succinctly resolve conflict and crisis.
- Ability to thrive in an environment that requires working under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, efficiency, prioritization, and multi-tasking.
Interested applicants should email letter of intent and resume to Jill Lane firstname.lastname@example.org with letter of intent and resume. Deadline to apply is March 18 although you are strongly encouraged to apply ASAP as the position will fill quickly.