Dates: Late May 2017 through August 2017
Overall Responsibility: Under the direction of the Costume Designer, facilitate the preparation and implementation of the costume design for assigned production(s).
- Create a cast measurement chart and distribute copies to the costume team.
- Assist the costume team with racking, sizing, sorting and organizing costumes.
- Assist the Costume Designer with pulling and purchasing garments, undergarments, accessories, and shoes.
- Create the first draft of dressing lists prior to first fittings.
- Coordinate with the Hair and Wig department to include wigs to the dressing lists.
- Prepare for fittings by loading-in costumes and verifying supplies are fully stocked.
- During fittings take notes, update dressing lists, label all undergarments, accessories, and shoes, and take fitting photos.
- Following each fitting session, delegate notes as necessary.
- After each day of fittings, print fitting photos and create the fitting photo boards.
- Coordinate with the Costume Shopper to send all shoes (as necessary) to the cobbler to be rubbered, braced and/or modified.
- Once an actor has been fit for his/her hats and the shoes have been rubbered, coordinate with the wardrobe team to make hats and shoes available for rehearsal.
- Read daily rehearsal reports for costume notes and execute notes as appropriate.
- Attend photo calls to ensure all necessary costume items are accessible and to answer any questions of the actors and wardrobe team.
- In collaboration with the Costume Shop Supervisor and Costume Shopper, facilitate expenditures, exchanges, and timely returns of unused items.
- Deliver the second draft of dressings lists to the Wardrobe Supervisor no later than the Wednesday morning prior to the first dress rehearsal.
- Be available backstage to the wardrobe team prior to all dress rehearsals to answer questions about the dressing lists and troubleshoot any problems that arise.
- Take notes for the Costume Designer during the dress rehearsals.
- Following the creative team notes session after the dress rehearsals and opening night, meet with the wardrobe supervisor to review notes.
- Following the dress rehearsals, refine notes and distribute them appropriately.
- Continue to update and refine the dressing lists for the rehearsals and opening night.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Costume Designer and unique to the given production(s).
- A B.A. in Theatre preferred
- A strong interest in the field of costume design and construction, preferably pursuing an education in costume design.
- Previous collegiate or professional experience in costume design.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to take direction and see a task out to completion.
- Proven history of reliability and a strong work ethic.
- Possess a strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to thrive in an environment that requires working under tight deadlines.
- Ability to plan ahead and anticipate potential setbacks.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
Interested applicants should email letter of intent and resume to Jill Lane firstname.lastname@example.org with letter of intent and resume. Deadline to apply is March 17 although you are strongly encouraged to apply ASAP as the position will fill quickly.