Dates: May 30, 2016 through August 23, 2016
Overall Responsibilities: Under the direction of the Costume Crafts Head, facilitate the preparation, construction and implementation of the costume craft designs for all productions.
- Modify and/or build items such as hats, jewelry, armor, shoes, belts, assorted leather goods, masks, crowns and specialty wigs in consultation with Costume Crafts Head and other Craft Artisans.
- As needed, dye fabric before it is cut. Measure and record dye pigments and ingredients when dying costumes.
- When necessary, dye, paint and distress costumes after they are complete.
- Perform other responsibilities designated by the Costume Craft Coordinator.
- A BA in Theater or Studio Arts preferred or equivalent work experience.
- Solid knowledge of general costume construction, periods and terminology.
- Experience in all areas of costume crafts including but not limited to millinery, leather work, jewelry, shoe construction and repair.
- Working knowledge of costume craft materials including historical references and modern availabilities.
- Competence in hand sewing and use of sewing machine.
- Working knowledge of leather paints, solvents and adhesives.
- Some experience in leather work.
- Experience in fabric dying techniques.
- Strong knowledge of fabric dyes, fabric treatments and fabric composition.
- Working knowledge of safety standards and implementation of these.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, efficiency, ability to prioritize and self-motivate.
- Ability to calmly and succinctly resolve conflict and problem solve.
- Ability to work well under pressure in an environment that requires working under tight deadlines.
- Ability to lift up to 70 lbs.
Interested applicants should email letter of intent and resume to Jill Lane email@example.com with letter of intent and resume. Deadline to apply is March 18 although you are strongly encouraged to apply ASAP as the position will fill quickly.