CALIFORNIA MUSICAL THEATRE’S 2017 SEASON
SUMMER PROFESSIONAL ASSISTANTSHIPS
The 2017 Summer Professional Assistantship’s Program is currently accepting new candidates!
Providing hands on learning opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students who are getting ready to embark upon a career in professional theatre.
The Professional Assistant Program is designed for advanced theatre students interested in theatre administration careers. California Musical Theatre’s Academy provides practical experiences in the presentation and production of quality musical theatre. Professional Assistants have the opportunity to enhance their practical knowledge and skills through close interaction with Music Circus’ staff. We are looking for mature, self-reliant, articulate students who are able to work effectively in a fast-paced environment. Professional Assistants, who are encouraged to achieve as many career-building goals and objectives as possible, have the opportunity to gain both practical experience and professional contacts through the program. In addition, participants gain further insight into the art of musical theatre with weekly scheduled presentations by guest artists from the Music Circus season.
- Full-time and Part-time assistantships:
- Mid-May through August, 30-40 hours/week
- $40 per day stipend
- College credit
- Housing and transportation is not provided
Music Circus Professional Assistantship Program offers the opportunity to:
- Work for California Musical Theatre, California’s largest nonprofit musical theatre company
- Join a professional, artistic community and make valuable contacts during our fast-paced Music Circus season
- Gain vital training and mentorship towards a professional career in arts administration
- Receive insight into the art and operation of professional theatre through weekly guest speakers
This is a part time position. Assist the development department with special events, hospitality lounge and general administrative work. Minimum requirements: knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel and organizational skills as well as an interest in working with the public. Ideal candidates are interested in fundraising and nonprofit arts management. Position starts early May (negotiable).
Full time position. Assist education department in all summer programs, including patron accessibility and hosting nonprofit organizations at the theater. Other programs include on-site workshops and theatre training for children, teens and adults. Schedule includes some evenings and weekends. Minimum requirements: excellent communication and organization skills, knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel. Ideal candidates are outgoing, able to multi-task, and interested in careers in education, outreach, and/or community engagement. Position starts early June.
Full time position. Process, coordinate and edit content for show publications including playbills and other materials, work directly with graphic designer and report to marketing manager. Candidates must have excellent writing, proofing and copy editing skills. Will also assist with press releases and other marketing publications and collateral materials as needed. Work directly with education department to develop design concept, coordinate content and produce print programs for all Academy productions throughout the summer. Ideal candidate will be a strong writer with experience in copy editing; some experience with graphic design preferred and an interest in dramaturgy a plus. Position starts early May (negotiable).
- SOCIAL MEDIA & MARKETING
This is a part-time position. Work with the marketing department to write and craft social media content, develop and implement social media calendar for the summer. Grassroots marketing, including distribution of heralds and posters throughout the midtown and downtown Sacramento region. Assist marketing manager with opening night events. Must have a valid driver’s license and vehicle, be available to work some nights and weekends (limited), experience with graphic design and photography preferred. Position starts early June.
Full time position. Assist the IT manager with set-up and deployment of computer systems; as well as assist with server maintenance, BYOD support, inventory management and software installations. Ideal candidates are detail orientated, able to prioritize, troubleshoot and are interested in careers in technology. Position starts late May.
To apply, please submit all of the following:
- a personal statement (500 words or less) that includes: the professional assistantship for which you are applying, your career objectives and how you hope to achieve them, what you expect to gain from an assistantship, your experience and education in theatre, and qualities that you possess that make you a worthy candidate
- for Publications position only, please include a writing sample that best exhibits your composition style and skill: minimum 4 pages, preferably a research or comparative analysis essay
- current resume
- two letters of recommendation (can be submitted by email directly to firstname.lastname@example.org)
Submit application by mail, email or fax:
California Musical Theatre Academy
1510 J Street #200
Sacramento, CA 95814
Fax: (916) 446-1370
We also offer internships during the Music Circus season. Learn more >>
For more information, please contact Education Director, Gina Smith at (916) 446-5880 x 122 or email email@example.com.
For professional assistant production positions that were formerly available through this program, please visit our employment page. Learn more >>